Pedestrian zone and commercial center – Knez Mihailova Street is protected by law since it is one of the oldest and most important monumental urban environments. Knez Mihailova is composed of multiple buildings and representative houses constructed at the end of the 1870s. It is thought that the center of the population of Singidunum was established here during Roman times and that it was full of streets with gardens, fountains and mosques during the Ottoman Empire. After the elaboration of the Regulation of Urban Planning in 1867, the street was constructed rapidly to acquire its current physiognomy. It is in this street where influential personalities and rich families of the commercial and political fields of Belgrade got their houses built. In 1870, the Administrative Office of the City designated the current name – Prince Mihailo’s Street.